Friday, September 19, 2008

Poll extended!

OK so I just figured out how to extend the end-date on the oh-so-important Fastback-vs-Notchback poll. I'm trying to figure out how to modify the results, as someone told me he preferred the Notch, but he didn't click the button. Please, everyone, click the button! It's super-important.

So, as of September 19, the poll stands at 4-Fastback, and 3-Notchback.

Importantly, one of those in the Notch category is my wife, whose opinion, frankly, matters more than yours. I haven't decided yet on how much to weight it. But it has swung me over to 51% for the Notch, whereas before I was probably 60% Fastback (as you could tell by my calling it "sporty" and calling the Notch a "family sedan").

---

In other fascinating car news, today I ran across this 1955 Alfa Romeo Sprint. It had been on-sale for $29,000, but with no takers, it is now on ebay with a current bid of $14,000. Usually I don't go for these sorts of things, but that's primarily because I don't know much about these sorts of things.


Some quick research, however, shows that this is in fact a crazy-awesome car, and in pretty good condition. It's cheaper than the Porsche 356, too.

Check out the tail fins! and the stand-alone headlights (i.e., not integrated into the hood or front of the car).





<--- fail.






I'm a sucker for any car that has needless bumps in the front and the rear. Plus, a little chrome for pizazz. And I guess these cars are wicked fast, too. Alfa Romeo is known for being a high-end, race-car-type company. Sorta like Porsche.

So if nothing else, my futile search for a cheap 356 is exposing me to really cool other cars that are, well, still out of my price range.

---
update: Just found another one of these Alfa Romeo's on ebay here. The condition is exactly the type of project I'm looking for: no significant rust, straight, and complete. And it's priced accordingly. Right now it's up to $2,000.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

since you added this post ("my wife's opinion matters more than yours") the total for the notchback decreased by one... some one is trying to make it fair