Sunday, November 9, 2008

And the winner is ...

The votes have been counted, the results are in, the election's over.




I know many of you have been waiting.




Holding your breath.




Hoping.




And now the answer is here:





Let me present to you my DREAMCAR:

The 1962 Porsche 356B T-6 Notchback

“It all started when I began looking around and just could not find my dream car. So I decided to build it myself,” explains Ferry Porsche of his decision to build the 356. I don't have the wherewithal to build my own, and so I was forced-- forced!-- to look around for one.

My long-standing favorite, the 1963 Volvo p1800S, held the title for many years. This was due to two factors: First, I always assumed that the coolest cars were prohibitively expensive. Second, the p1800 was originally chosen because of brand loyalty to my first (and to date most beloved) car, and I had never seriously questioned my teen-age choice.

When my father, through fortuitous circumstances, came to own a non-running 1967 Porsche 912, both factors favoring the Volvo came crashing down. I have always been drawn to the curvy European 1960s automobile aesthetic, and I began looking around at others besides the Volvo.

Of them all-- the Morris Minor, the MGA, the Alfa Romeo Sprint-- the Porsche 356 has triumphed. It has the best lines, the best reputation for quality, the best racing record ... And importantly for a sociologist, the best community of afficionadoes.

I'm a sucker for uniqueness, and so when I heard of the limited-run of Notchback cars produced by Porsche from 1960-62, my interest was piqued. I have long held a distaste for "fastback" cars, since I first saw two 1965 Ford Mustangs back-to-back:


Though my dad disagreed, feedback from friends and my wife have convinced me that my natural inclination should stand: weighted for my wife's vote, my blog poll has steered me where I wanted to go anyway. Notchback!

To complicate matters, Porsche released a Notchback 356 during the 1961 and 1962 model years, during which time a stylistic shift occurred. Though the mechanicals stayed the same, the body was modified. An additional vent grille was added to the rear lid. The front hood was squared off. A gas filler was set into the fender, precluding opening the front hood to fill the tank. The rear quarter windows pop-out. The rear window is wider, allowing for better visibility.


Notchback
--->





twin grill
--->




I think that the twin-grilles look more symmetrical, and not having to open up the hood to fill up the tank is a big bonus, especially because the hoods on 356s are notorious for "kink"ing when closed incorrectly.

Also, I prefer even-numbered years. 1962.

There were three engine models available for the 1962 Porsche 356B t-6 Notchback: the Normal, the Super and the Super 90. The most powerful, the Super 90, can be used for racing, and is too powerful for daily driving. The Normal is good, but seems too ... normal. The Super has enough "umph" to remind you that even though it's 40 years old, you're driving a Porsche!

So the major decisions have been made. Unfortunately, 1961 was the last year Porsche painted its cars my favorite color: Aetna Blue. An Aetna Blue car with a red interior looks sharp. Alas, the color was discontinued.











In 1962 the best color is Oslo Blue, which has a nice grey tint, but is ultimately too dark.







I think I would have to rebel and paint my car in Aetna Blue. This is actually a benefit for me, because I don't have to worry about buying a perfectly-colored car. It doesn't exist! I'd have to paint it myself.

And so there you have it. Only 1,048 of these cars were made from late 1960-1962, so there were probably only 500 of the 1962 t-6 model. Maybe 1/3 of those had the Super engine. We're talking 175 ever made.

The Notchback cars exist in the first place because Porsche had too many convertible bodies, and so they welded hard-tops on them, to sell as coupes. Apparently they were also toying with the idea of selling a hard-topped coupe, and the Notchback was supposed to test the market. Over the years, many of the Notchback models have had their tops cut off, as it's a convertible-bodied car afterall.

So, finding a 1962 Porsche 356B T-6 Notchback with a Super engine may be difficult. Luckily for me, most other 356 fans, including those back in 1961 and 1962, preferred the fastback over the Notchback. And so the Notchback has always been cheaper than the more popular fastback. So I have that going for me.

I do suffer from a bit of liberal guilt at the thought of owning a Porsche; owning a Volvo put me squarely in my favorite stereotype (latte-drinking, sushi-eating, Volvo-driving, New York Times-reading ...). Only rich jerks own Porsches, right? But I've found some of these cars for less than $10,000, and decent drivers for under $20,000. That's about the price of a used Honda. Plus, the 356 gets around 28mpg. It's not a Prius, but it's pretty good.

And so, now, I have a dream. I mean, ever since what's-his-name won the election, I have to have something else to yearn for, don't I?

1962 Porsche 356B t-6 Notchback. If I can find one for under $15,000, I just may have to sell my soul. Or my baseball card collection. Or my plasma. Not my books. In any event, I'd do a lot to own one.

The end.

1 comment:

Jimmy's grandpa said...

Bought my T-6 Karmann Hardtop in 1979, for $2700. cash, from a stranded hippy in Grants Pass, OR. Drove it daily for 3 or 4 years, Starting it up after the night shift was often slow going so I installed an 8 volt battery and had the regulator adjusted to comply. Plenty of starting power and lights from then on. Burned an exhaust vale in '84 or so and replaced the car with a 914 as my driver, though hoping to restore the 356 "someday."
My daughter, 16 at the time talked me into beginning to "tear it apart" one day in 1987. Just before my divorce, which involved selling the 356 for $5000. to a brother in law in Buffalo N.Y.
He found a "restorer" who parked it in the back yard allowing the snow to fill her, while he planned to convert her "back into a cabriolet. (Wonder if he knew only the 61's had had the "top added?"
Long story's end. Mike traded it to the would-be restorer for a MGC-TD. The (sad) end.