Monday, August 11, 2008

Deal or no Deal?

What is it called when you find an incredible deal on something that is still too pricey? "Frustrating." Being both cheap and having little in the way of disposable income (see Bourdieu quote, below), I'm always looking for a deal.

Recently I found a restored 1962 Porsche 356 on Craigs for $16,000. Now, these cars easily go for 3x that much (and sometimes 10x that much), especially a nicely restored one. This is the deal of the century on my DREAM car (see previous post)!!!


At the same time, I ain't got 16 grand to blow on a car. Even if I did, I'd instead use it to pay down my student loans, or sock away for a house down-payment. There's no way I could justify buying this car, even at 33% of the market rate. As my friend Dan said, I don't want money to buy the car, I just want the car. I'd then have to convince myself not to sell it at an exorbitant profit, so as to use the money for one of the aforementioned noble purposes.


It's hard being a cheapskate when you can't even afford the absurdly low price.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I'm not sure why you aren't scrambing to buy it so you can sell it for 3x as much money. I know it's your dream car but there is nothing wrong with making $16 to $32,000 dollars. Think of all the student debt that would pay off.