Thursday, August 7, 2008

WTB #2

Sigh. So the Porsche probably isn't in the cards. What's to be done? Go to the Bimmer, of course. To be precise, a 1965 BMW 2000CS. It is less curvy than the 356, but the ones it does have are classic. Simple, elegant, timeless and well-made. It looks like it's moving when it's just standing still. With basic maintenance this is a car I could drive for the next 20 years.

The later model of this car, the 3.0CS, has a larger engine and is correspondingly pricier ($10,000+), but I like the earlier, cheaper 4-cylinder 2000. I found one on Craigs for $1,000. Granted it needs a cylinder head, but at least that way I can insure that the engine is rebuilt properly.

This car makes me think of my Papa, or at least the image that I think he was trying to cultivate in the 60s. Smooth, cultivated, martini-drinking, appreciating quality. That's about as good a reason as any for me to WTB this car. Maybe someday I'll ask my own grandkids to take their sand-filled shoes off before climbing in my 2000CS.

No comments: