Thursday, August 7, 2008

WTB #3

This was the original dream car from my high school days. It's a 1964 Volvo p1800S. My first car, at age 16, was a 1966 Volvo 122S, and the p1800 was the cooler, sexier model--the only true sports car Volvo ever made. It has lines like a '50s Ferrari and was almost made by Karmann (which also made Porsches and the legendary Karmann Ghia). VW thought the p1800 would compete with its sports cars and forbade Karmann from taking the job.

The earlier models (1961-63) had quality control issues, and the later models (1967-) got rid of the fantastic "bull horn" bumpers, the "egg-crate" grill, and redesigned the chrome so that it didn't follow the natural lines of the car. Lame.

I used to dream about fitting a larger B20 engine into a 1964 car, to get the best of both worlds, but now I think I'd rather keep it all original. I had a dual-carburetor (vaybers!) B18 engine in my old Volvo, and I could work on it blindfolded. It'd be fun to have another. I miss the sound. I do have to admit a desire to chop the top off and have the coolest custom convertible ever (see pic).

This car was my first love, and there will always be a place in my heart for it. When I bought the 122S I felt like I was initiated into the brotherhood of classic Volvo enthusiasts. They're my people. Lord knows Barbara has heard me talk about this car enough. Looking at them online is basically how I got through my Masters thesis (one can't live on Deleuze alone).

I'd bet dollars to donuts that this'll be the one car on this list I'll ever actually own.

No comments: